Electro-Mechanical Sensor Design Engineer (Tomography)
ELECTRO-MECHANICAL SENSOR DESIGN ENGINEER (TOMOGRAPHY)
LOCATION: Ely, Cambridgeshire
SALARY: Competitive depending on qualifications and suitability
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 09:00 – 17:00 Monday to Friday
My client based in Ely is a market leader in the development, design and manufacture of highly accurate and robust quality (sampling) and quantity (metering) devices for the custody transfer applications in the oil & gas industry. They also design and manufacture packaged systems of sampling and metering stations – which serve as the cash register for the oil & gas industry. Therefore creating products with the highest accuracy and robustness for this challenging environment is not an exception but the norm.
This prestigious employer is looking for an experienced Electro-Mechanical Sensor Design Engineer to work in their newly re-furbished and state of the art Engineering and Project Management office, containing impressive arrays of R&D facilities – comprising various flow loops and state of the art GPU based heterogeneous High Performance Computing (HPC)
The R&D group is primarily focused on the Accelerated Development and Delivery of Products that comply with stringent industry standards. We use a product creation process (PCP) to accentuate our workflow while implementing various suitable project management manuals (waterfall, lean and/or agile) to deliver our objectives. These will be achieved primarily through a combination of design alterations and optimisations of current products but also and more importantly by innovating new products and processes.
The role is primarily to lead the design and 3D prototyping of modern electro-mechanical sensors and
sensor interfaces for ultrasonic and electromagnetic tomography applications. Reporting to the function manager and working closely with other groups and disciplines.
Main duties include:
- Deliver appropriate Multiphysics simulations as a design guide for products with integrated electromagnetics and ultrasonic sensors.
- Design and analyse the effectiveness of guarding systems to avoid astray fields not only to integrated sensors but to other electronics and instrumentations.
- Design and analyse the shielding limits of fringing electric and magnetic field sensors in an integrated architecture – in compliance with industry standards.
- Develop and optimise the sensor design flow, CAD framework and compute resource covering physical design, EM simulation, and back annotation processes.
- Help transform a portfolio of mechanical engineering products into a connected product portfolio by adding sensors, connectivity, and specifying analytics
- Work closely with system and sensor design engineers to optimise designs for cost, manufacturability and performance
- Contribute in the design and execution of tests and testing methods to evaluate product technology readiness level (TRL)
- Write technical reports and memorandums, present results to various audiences and continue to develop innovative solutions to optimise our array of products.
- Qualified to degree level or higher, ideally in Engineering Physics or (electronic/mechanical) engineering.
- At least 5 years of work experience in Product Development for sensor design and testing in compliance with industry standards:
- You should be a competent engineer very much in tune with both established and new technologies in sensors, actuators and transducers and their detail integration as electro mechanical products.
- You should be familiar in the integration design and interfacing of micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) for flow measurement applications,
- You must have both the experience and demonstrable ability to develop Sensing and Connectivity solutions for electro-mechanical engineering products,
- Experience with developing Systems oriented products with sensors and software preferred,
- You shall have the appreciation and interest in working on industrial internet of things (IIoT) for intelligent device management (IDM) operation,
- You must demonstrate high competence in Numerical Simulation work flow – involving, concept generation, model development, analysis, 2D/3D geometry design, 3D Digital Prototyping and Design for Manufacture/Assembly (DFM/DFA) specifications.
- Understanding or exposure on the application of Multiphase Flows in general and oil-water gas flow in particular will be an advantage,
- Practical knowledge of electromagnetic simulation and parasitic extraction using ANSYS Q3D / HFSS/ COMSOL and / or OpenFOAM is a preferred advantage,
Working in a modern, spacious working environment (with free staff parking) and also within walking distance to Ely rail station. Other benefits include 25 days annual leave (in addition to Bank Holidays), Contributory Auto-Enrolment Pension Scheme, Cycle to Work Scheme, Childcare Voucher Scheme and optional healthcare.
If you would like more information on this fantastic opportunity then please call and speak to a member of our team at Totec or send your CV to Totec today.
All applicants must be eligible to live & work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility is required from candidates as part of the recruitment process (i.e. visa, residency permit, EU passport etc.)
Or, tell us why you don't wish to apply for this job.