Senior Systems Engineer
HORIBA MIRA is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defence, aerospace and rail sectors. We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding. Our suite of 37 major test facilities, 100km of specialised proving ground and wealth of engineering experience, combined with our expanding international presence, means we are confident that we can achieve our vision – that by 2020 every journey in the world will be positively influenced by us.
Progress towards achieving our vision has been significantly accelerated through the creation of MIRA Technology Park, Europe’s largest transport technology R&D cluster. By applying our advanced engineering, test and validation capabilities to our customers’ challenging programmes, we are already shaping journeys of the future
Title of Job:
Senior Systems Engineer (Failure Mode Avoidance expert)
0441 Systems & Safety
£35k-£52k + benefits depending on skills and experience
Team leader / Manager (systems and safety function)
TBC depending on assigned projects
Main Purpose of Job
- Failure mode avoidance expert
- Requirements capture, system design and verification
- Executing failure mode avoidance activities (FMEA, P-diagrams, quality history review…)
- Elicit and capture stakeholder requirements
- Derive system and sub-system requirements
- Architectural design of electronic, electrical and software based systems including model based systems engineering
- Development of verification plans
- Analysing and reporting on verification activities
- Technical project management / technical decision making to deliver on time, to cost and quality
- Review and assessment of embedded systems design against safety requirements and good practice
- Supporting sub-system developers
- Supporting simulation and sizing activities
- Good first degree (minimum 2:1) in electrical/electronic engineering, systems engineering or a relevant related discipline
- Higher degree (relevant M.Sc or Ph.D)
- Corporate membership of an engineering institution including Chartered Engineer qualification
Electrical/electronics engineer, systems engineer, software architect or control/modelling engineer with ideally a minimum 2 years in an embedded systems environment, particularly safety-related systems
Experience in ALL of:
- User and systems level requirements elicitation, capture and management
- Systems level architectural design
- Concepts of linking and traceability of requirements to design
- Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (dFMEA)
- Preparing or contributing to design verification plan and report activities (DVP&R)
The candidate must have a strong experience in systems engineering and requirements driven developments
A track record of delivering projects to JLR’s TCDS process (or similar) will be seen as highly desirable.
Experience in a combination of:
- Requirements management tools (such as DOORS)
- Model based system design (UML, SysML) using Rhapsody or other modelling tools
- Hybrid electric vehicle architectures and control
- Design of systems at hazardous voltages
- HiL, SiL, MiL based verification techniques
- Autosar and/or distributed architectures
- Other failure mode avoidance and engineering quality principles
Non-essential, but relevant experience:
- Engineering process development and practical implementation
- Exposure to process assessment schemes e.g. CMMI, ISO 15504 (SPICE)
- Trained as internal (or external) auditor
- Developing and delivering training courses
What is the candidate likely to be doing now?
- Similar role at an automotive OEM, Tier 1 supplier or in another similar industry.
- Embedded electronics or software expert looking to progress his/her career into systems engineering / model based systems development.
The candidate should:
- Be capable of delivering a high standard of technical writing
- Be capable of presenting technical information confidently to customers
- Be a self-starter and able to execute designated tasks accurately and within timing and budgetary constraints
- Have well-developed analytical skills – rigorous but pragmatic
- Have good interpersonal skills – a consensus-builder, expressive but not confrontational
- Be able to make justified technical decisions based on solid rationale
- Be capable of technically managing a small group of engineers, tracking progress and budget spend
Be willing to travel and work flexibly: The job is likely to involve periods of 1 week at a time spent overseas approximately 6 to 8 times per year. The job may also involve extended placements at customer facilities requiring travel within the UK for 1 to 4 days per week for a significant period.
Or, tell us why you don't wish to apply for this job.