Vehicle Dynamics Senior Engineer
HORIBA MIRA is a global provider of pioneering engineering, research and test services to the automotive, defence, aerospace and rail sectors. We work in close collaboration with vehicle manufacturers and suppliers around the world, providing comprehensive support ranging from individual product tests to turnkey engineering design, development and build programmes.
With over 70 years’ experience in developing some of the world’s most iconic vehicles, our engineers utilise the latest test facilities and simulation tools to make vehicles and journeys safer, cleaner, more efficient and rewarding. Our suite of 37 major test facilities, 100km of specialised proving ground and wealth of engineering experience, combined with our expanding international presence, means we are confident that we can achieve our vision – that by 2025 every journey in the world will be positively influenced by us.
Progress towards achieving our vision has been significantly accelerated through the creation of MIRA Technology Park, Europe’s largest transport technology R&D cluster. By applying our advanced engineering, test and validation capabilities to our customers’ challenging programmes, we are already shaping journeys of the future
Title of Job:
Vehicle Dynamics Senior Engineer
£40-52k dependent on experience
Team Leader and Function Manager
Members of project teams
Main Purpose of Job
- To develop and manage external customer and internal research projects for ride, handling and steering, providing expert support and knowledge.
- This role will be based at the Nuneaton site and will involve foreign travel; approximately 2 to 3 trips per year of a 2 week duration per trip and potentially, but not essential, 2 to 3 month short term secondments.
- The role will include enquiry support, project scope/approach definition, project delivery, testing, project reporting.
- It may also include support of the team’s research and development of new and current technology and CI of internal process and procedure.
- The role will at times be highly customer focused, being the point of contact and technical expert/lead for the project, representing Horiba MIRA, both in the UK and abroad.
- The chosen candidate will work in a project team to deliver specified customer projects, most likely with a significant element of prototype development. He/she will report to the attribute team leader, and will be assisted as required by other senior technical staff.
- Test and Development: Objective testing to ISO and other standards together with subjective assessment of client and competitor vehicles in order to set appropriate targets for the production vehicle(s). Further objective testing and data analysis to assist in the development of the client’s prototype vehicle(s), including interpretation of test data and simulation output. Management of team or sub-team to deliver tasks as defined by the project plan. Validation testing for proof of concept and to ensure that the vehicle(s) meet the defined deliverables and targets.
- Liaison: As appropriate with MIRA simulation and design teams to find cost effective solutions to issues identified. Possible liaison with suppliers to deliver production feasible designs; depending on client defined responsibilities.
- Customer Liaison: Keeping the customer representative appraised of progress against the project plan, identifying risks and opportunities for next steps, weekly status reporting, and generation of development statements, summary reports and formal reports at major gateways. Awareness of handling cultural differences and understanding client pressures (for example lack of clear understanding of the process).
- Project Administration: Keeping project documentation in good order in line with MIRA’s QA policy, monitoring of project progress against contracted deliverables, management of costs in line with the budget.
- Other Activity: Support Product Groups with customer enquiries and proposal writing, contributing to continuous improvement projects and research activity. Work as part of a wider team to support the delivery of other attribute projects.
- The role will be based at MIRA in Nuneaton but would include travel and activity overseas including Europe, China, Korea, India, Brazil and the Middle East.
- Degree qualified in automotive or mechanical engineering or equivalent.
- Driving license.
- Masters degree. HGV and other vehicle licenses.
- A track record in automotive vehicle dynamics testing and development.
- Working within emerging markets.
- Experience of control systems such as SCS, EPAS and AEB
What is the candidate likely to be doing now?
Working within a vehicle dynamics consultancy, OEM or supplier
Or, tell us why you don't wish to apply for this job.