Senior Mobile Software Engineer - Children’s
The BBC's Design and Engineering division works in partnership with BBC Children’s to deliver amazing digital experiences that inform, educate, entertain and inspire the nation’s children.
The Children's Design and Engineering team deliver some of the UK’s most popular websites and apps which bring to life globally renowned CBeebies and CBBC brands including Topsy and Tim, Hey Duggee, Go Jetters, Danger Mouse, The Next Step, Newsround and Blue Peter.
Our department is based in Bridge House at MediaCityUK, Salford. We have over 60 people organised into multi-disciplinary agile teams containing software engineers, testers, user experience designers, design researchers, product owners, content producers and project managers. You will be working in a team of highly motivated people focussed on transforming our digital offering and creating world class experiences for our young audience.
We’re now working on the next generation of inspiring experiences for children on mobile, tablet and PC and are looking for great people to join our team and help us shape the future of the BBC.
You would join our team working on an exciting new project Pick ‘n’ Mix. Pick ‘n’ Mix is our in-house framework to allow us to create Native Apps on iOS, Android and Kindle using web technologies.
The Pick ‘n’ Mix project’s aim is to allow third party developers to build web games, and other experiences, which can be published both on our website, and also as native apps, whilst being built without a requirement to know what platform it is running on.
On top of allowing the web apps access to native functionality such as camera, accelerometer and microphone, Pick ‘n’ Mix also makes integrating with BBC systems simple and consistent across both web and native.
We’re looking for a talented software engineer who loves working across native development in Swift and JAVA.
The role will include the following activities:
- Build, design and deliver high quality, high volume, high availability and high performance solutions in line with the guidance and best practices of the department
- Daily liaison with the product owner, technical lead and design teams to ensure the definition, design and development of new features run smoothly
- Be responsible for work quality, ensuring it meets the technical standards for all BBC D&E output
- Develop, test, release and document features using software engineering best-practices to ensure timely delivery and ease of maintenance
- Provide time and resource estimates to assist in the planning of projects
- Provide technical advice to the editorial and design teams on new application concepts and to establish their feasibility through prototypes
- Develop tools and methodologies to improve the effectiveness of the development process
- Work closely with operational support teams to ensure technical solutions meet with operational team requirements and standards, particularly in respect of scalability and reliability
- Collaborate effectively with other technical teams and clients of our services to ensure the utmost Audience experience
- Seek for opportunities to employ new technologies, design patterns and methodologies to enhance the applications and service infrastructure of BBC Children's
- Keep abreast of developments in software engineering and technologies particularly related to mobile devices
- Review the work of other team members and to provide assistance as directed
- Assist with training of new team members and trainees as required.
A successful candidate will be skilled in some of the following:
- iOS (primarily Swift 3)
- Android development (Java)
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development (TDD) and test frameworks such as JUnit, Mockito and Jasmine
- Writing and maintaining large scale robust production software
- Source control systems such as Git and GitHub
- Experience of working in an Agile environment (SCRUM, Kanban)
You’ll have “can do” positive attitude, be eager to learn, and effectively collaborate with colleagues. You will embrace a challenge and love to be involved in the specification and design of technical solutions. You’ll love sharing your knowledge and pairing with other engineers.
We don’t expect anyone to have experience of all the above skills, the above just gives an example of the kind of technologies we’re working with. If you’re great, we want you!
Or, tell us why you don't wish to apply for this job.