Post Title:IT Technician
Faculty/Unit: IT Support
Scale Range: 012 - 022
To work as part of the IT Unit to support the College infrastructure and provide IT support to College staff and students. Technically confident at providing hardware and software support, possessing good communication, time management and organisational skills, with a ‘Can do’ approach, determination to succeed and see problems through to a solution will define the successful candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To take responsibility for installation, configuration and maintenance of IT related hardwareacross College sites (travel required) in line with Departmental Service Levels.
- To take responsibility for implementing software configuration changes across College sites.
- To work on the IT helpdesk as part of a weekly rota and ensure all jobs are logged and communicated to the end user.
- Liaise with 3rd Party suppliers to ensure repair of Hardware meets customer expectations.
- Support and Installation of the College telephone system, mobile phones and devices.
- To assist the Engineers with the maintenance of College hardware, software and network systems.
- To set up College computer resources at required locations and times.
- To ensure efficient and safe working of all relevant College resources.
- To ensure that all documentation is maintained in accordance with the College’s financial and administration systems.
- To take ownership of allocated IT incidents and progress them to a satisfactory conclusion, keeping customers regularly informed of progress.
- Operational security, maintenance, asset tagging and disposal of the College
IT hardware resources; in line with departmental policies and procedures.
- To assist staff in the use of equipment and software.
- Look to continuously improve the IT delivery service.
- To attend regular Campus IT support team meetings, providing a forum for discussion and information exchange.
- To carry out such other relevant and appropriate duties which may from time to time be specified.
- To undertake other duties commensurate with the post grade as may be requested by the IT Engineers /IT Manager.
Important additional information:
- No supervisory responsibility but may provide guidance to trainees in the unit and to other staff in the department where they do not have the required specialist knowledge.
- Responsible to the ITManager who provides guidance on non routine matters. The post holder will deal with routine matters without reference to the Manager.
Responsibility for Assets:
- Contributes to the security and accurate recording of all College assets.
Contacts (Internal and External):
- Staff and students of the College.
- External equipment suppliers and their representatives and other visitors.
The basic holiday entitlement is 25 days plus 8 statutory days of which up to 5 days can be directed by management. The holiday year is from September to August.
Health & Safety:
To maintain a positive attitude to health & safety in carrying out personal responsibilities and to co-operate with the health & safety/local rules/codes of practice relating to health & safety matters.
Equality & Diversity
The College has a strong commitment to working towards the implementation of equality of opportunity in both service delivery and employment. The College’s mission and strategic objectives directly support this aim. All employees are required to actively support the development, dissemination and implementation of this aim and related policies and programmes.
Safeguarding of Children and Vulnerable Adults
The College is committed to safeguarding and promotes the welfare of all learners and expects its staff to share this commitment. In addition they will also state that the College is committed to safeguarding and promotes the welfare of all learners and expects its staff to share this commitment. All posts in the College are subject to an Enhanced CRB check and barred person’s list check.
Advisory notes:The information given within this job description is intended to provide a general understanding of and appreciation about the role within the Calderdale College setting. The job description is not designed to detail specific daily duties which the postholder may undertake.