Electronics Engineer – Batteries and Power Electronics
Overall Objective: To develop and lead a program of work relating to battery integration and performance in the M-KOPA product suite.
About M-KOPA Solar
M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 500,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 600 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and IoT.
M-KOPA is looking for an electronics engineer, with a strong background in lithium ion battery technology, to design and develop new products.They will be responsible for developing new concepts, innovative electronics design, testing, writing documentation and supporting work related to batteries in the M-KOPA product suite.
The role is based at the M-KOPA offices in the UK, with frequent visits to East Africa working with various teams in the business.
• Developing new concepts for battery integration in M-KOPA products
• Developing, testing and troubleshooting of circuitry for the energy storage components in products:
Analogue and battery charger circuitry, power electronics, switching regulators designs
• Electronics component, battery sourcing and selection
• Support analysis of current battery performance, working with data specialists, technical experts and M-KOPA’s own engineering resource to define current challenges and opportunities
• Supporting a detailed fault analysis program, helping M-KOPA understand in depth the factors that influence battery life in the field
• Work with product design teams and battery specialists on longer term product design options to meet our customers’ needs
• Documenting new designs and writing specification sheets
• Assisting with the support of new products across M-KOPA Labs and the larger group M-KOPA Solar
- Importantly, will have a solid electronics engineering background, specialist knowledge in battery technology and application
- Degree in Electronic Engineering with a minimum of five years relevant experience
- Will have experience of working with lithium chemistry batteries and battery management systems
- Experience at working in an emerging economy with limited infrastructure
- Developed new products for high volume manufacturing with battery technology in consumer electronics; building prototypes, testing, trouble shooting and fault analysis
- Advance knowledge inpower electronics, battery charger circuitry and microcontroller design
- Proficiency in schematic capture and PCB designsoftware E.g. OrCad, Eagle
- Understand communication protocol like I2C, RS232 and SPI
- Able to do FMEA analysis
- Experience of using lab equipment e.g. Oscilloscope, PSU, E-Load, DVM, Current probe…etc.
- Able to simulate power electronics circuitries using simulation software e.g. LTSPICE
- Ability to work as part of multiple discipline team
- Experience of working with electronics manufacturing facilities
- Able to write professional engineering specifications, test plans and reports
- Understand battery safety regulations
- Willing to travel at short notice to Africa and Asia
- Able to work under pressure with tight deadlines on multiple projects concurrently; work overtime where necessary